Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 27 October 2016

Aquatic Knitting


I've got my knitting head on at the moment.  More specifically, I've got my fair isle knitting head on.  I've just finished this hat and top set in which I combined...


... the smallest size in this (70's?) pattern purchased in a bundle from Ebay...


... with a design from this book.  This book was published in 1985 and I purchased it on my last summer holiday for the silly price of 99 pence in an Oxfam bookshop.


The yarn used is acrylic.  The orange and blue I have had in my stash forever - no idea how they got there - and the white yarn was a massive ball purchased in a charity shop for £1.99 I think - and I've still got loads left.


The total cost came to well under a fiver, and I will be donating it to charity.


Linking up with the vintage pattern pledge.


Thursday, 6 October 2016

Maudella 5676 and Simplicity K1873 Mash-Up


I made this dress by tweaking two patterns that I already had in my stash.


Maudella 5676, which I bought in a bundle of patterns from Ebay - probably paying about £1 per pattern.  Look at those mutton sleeves - it took all of my powers to stop myself making that sleeve!


And Cynthia Rowley K1873 for Simplicity.  I got this pattern with a magazine.

Firstly, I used the Maudella pattern to give myself a guide to bust gathers on a high bodice without darts.  I then drafted side panels to bring the sides down to my natural waist - using my French curve to draw the same curve on the bodice.


The skirt and sleeves are the Cynthia Rowley pattern.


I adore these sleeves.  They are a slight labour of love because they are shaped with five darts per sleeve and, as the bodice is fully lined, that means making twenty small darts.  However I like them and remember, it could have been worse, it could have been mutton sleeves!


The back of the dress with an invisible zip - which I alllmost got to be invisible! :)


And a nice deep handsewn hem.  I've said before that I am terrible at deep hems on a-line/circular skirts but I had a fortuitous moment on making this.  The skirt back pattern piece is very wide due to the pleats and I had a quite narrow width of fabric - which meant that the very bottom of the pattern fell off the fabric - leading to the bottom of the hem falling straight down on the fabric as opposed to continuing the a-line, which meant that it sat nicely when folded up.  I've no idea if that makes any sense - but it worked for me.


The reason for the narrow width is because I made this dress out of a pair of curtains I purchased in a charity shop a while ago for five pounds.  I used the lining to line the bodice and, as I purchased the invisible zip for a couple of pounds I think, I reckon I made the entire dress (patterns and all) for about £14 if you include the £5.99 I probably paid for the magazine the Cynthia Rowley pattern came with.

Now mutton sleeves... I think I'm going to have to make some you know... :)