Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Friday, 22 January 2016

Princess Duvet Cover Dress


I have been duvet dress making again!  This time it was a princess single duvet cover, which had princesses on the front and a floral design at the back.


I started by cutting off the fastenings on the bottom of the duvet.


I then cut about 22 inches off the bottom of the duvet for the skirt.  My intention was just to gather the top of this (with a break in the side seam for a zip), and to attach it to the bodice with the princesses all over the front of the dress and flowers on the back... but more on this in a moment.

I turned my attention to the bodice.


As I hope you can see I spent some time centering one of the princesses onto the bodice front.  I decided to go for snow white as I liked the yellow contrasting with the main pink of the dress.


At the back I also spent time matching up the flowers either side of the centre back.

Feeling pleased with the pattern placement I went back to the skirt panel I had cut out earlier and...


Ahhh, I don't think I wanted to cut it like that!!!!

Due to a massive oversight on my part I had not checked that the skirt panel included a complete panel of princesses.  I was left with a dilemma - have incomplete princesses on the skirt or come up with something else. 

Luckily, and I do mean luckily, I had enough material left over from the back of duvet to make a gathered skirt out of just the floral motif.  So that is what I did. 


I fully lined the dress with offcuts of lining material from other projects, and the dress fastens with a side zip that I harvested from a dress I had previously refashioned into a skirt. 

But my lesson has been learned - not just measure twice cut once but look twice cut once! :)

Wednesday, 13 January 2016

It's getting colder here in Wales, so I am knitting.


My sister kindly gave me some oddments of yarn she had left over from various projects, and I have been using them up.  Firstly I made a hat for her and then decided it was my turn! :)

This hat was made out of a lovely blue chunky yarn and some leftover Noro.  I love Noro.  It's official. 


The hat is, as ever, a free Ravelry pattern, which I altered slightly as I didn't have enough of the blue yarn for the full slouch, but I think I prefer it this way and particularly love the egg yolk coloured top!  Like I say, I love Noro.


I also actually purchased some yarn!  (Well, it was in the sale) and knitted these leg warmers (from a - all sing along now - free Ravelry pattern!).  The yarn is Rowan lima in denim if I remember correctly.  A lovely soft yarn to work with.

So, I am all set for the snow.  Bring it on!