Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 6 October 2016

Maudella 5676 and Simplicity K1873 Mash-Up


I made this dress by tweaking two patterns that I already had in my stash.


Maudella 5676, which I bought in a bundle of patterns from Ebay - probably paying about £1 per pattern.  Look at those mutton sleeves - it took all of my powers to stop myself making that sleeve!


And Cynthia Rowley K1873 for Simplicity.  I got this pattern with a magazine.

Firstly, I used the Maudella pattern to give myself a guide to bust gathers on a high bodice without darts.  I then drafted side panels to bring the sides down to my natural waist - using my French curve to draw the same curve on the bodice.


The skirt and sleeves are the Cynthia Rowley pattern.


I adore these sleeves.  They are a slight labour of love because they are shaped with five darts per sleeve and, as the bodice is fully lined, that means making twenty small darts.  However I like them and remember, it could have been worse, it could have been mutton sleeves!


The back of the dress with an invisible zip - which I alllmost got to be invisible! :)


And a nice deep handsewn hem.  I've said before that I am terrible at deep hems on a-line/circular skirts but I had a fortuitous moment on making this.  The skirt back pattern piece is very wide due to the pleats and I had a quite narrow width of fabric - which meant that the very bottom of the pattern fell off the fabric - leading to the bottom of the hem falling straight down on the fabric as opposed to continuing the a-line, which meant that it sat nicely when folded up.  I've no idea if that makes any sense - but it worked for me.


The reason for the narrow width is because I made this dress out of a pair of curtains I purchased in a charity shop a while ago for five pounds.  I used the lining to line the bodice and, as I purchased the invisible zip for a couple of pounds I think, I reckon I made the entire dress (patterns and all) for about £14 if you include the £5.99 I probably paid for the magazine the Cynthia Rowley pattern came with.

Now mutton sleeves... I think I'm going to have to make some you know... :)


5 comments:

  1. love those sleeves on your dress, and have not come across a sleeve for a while like your maudella pattern. could make for a lovely summer top. gorgeous dress - and brilliant combination of the elements

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I agree - I think a summer top would look lovely with those sleeves. Also, it gives me a whole year to get around to making it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress looks beautifully sewn, and those sleeves are so fun! 20 darts and all 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did take my time on it because I liked the fabric so much. I am loving your spinning/dyeing adventures by the way.

      Delete
  4. The dress looks beautifully sewn, and those sleeves are so fun! 20 darts and all 😃

    ReplyDelete