Wednesday, 29 June 2016
I purchased this round tablecloth recently for the princely sum of £1.99. It was folded up on the hanger and I didn't check its condition. This is because, weirdly, I was hoping it would be damaged because otherwise it was too lovely for me to cut up.
Look at those little birds!
So, I handed over my money, probably being the only one who has ever shopped there hoping to discover a stain on their purchase!
On getting it home and laying it out onto a small round table in the house I discovered a slight rip in the hem - which I fixed before I put it in the washing machine.
Taa daa! Not only a stain - but the perfectly placed stain.
As you can hopefully see in the above picture it was a small, neat, stain that I could hide in the side seam of the skirt - and also I did not have to cut through any of the birds to do it.
This was going well...
... until I did another classic cutting error which I appear to be so fond of!
I had checked two sources (one magazine, one online) and found my waist radius was 12 cm. I therefore used my very clever marking ruler (pictured above). I placed my marking pencil in '12' and off I went. Only to realise after cutting it out that it didn't fit, because it was an imperial ruler and obviously the markings were going up by half inches and not centimetres! So I had cut 12 half inches - 6 inches - just over 15 cms. So I had to hack a wedge off the skirt each side of the seam I had made to make the waistline fit! Although, funnily enough, I still didn't chop any of the birds in half as it all landed in the reeds pattern - which was nice.
The good news was that I could now make a zip placket from the circle I cut out - because it was huge! Also, I used some of the fabric I cut out of the side seams to make a waistband - I had previously thought I would need to find a contrasting fabric in my stash.
Anyway, long story short I'm pleased with the result. I love the birds that are flying around the waistline.
And all the wading birds seem happy enough. :)