Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Tablecloth Skirt


I purchased this round tablecloth recently for the princely sum of £1.99.  It was folded up on the hanger and I didn't check its condition.  This is because, weirdly, I was hoping it would be damaged because otherwise it was too lovely for me to cut up.


Look at those little birds!

So, I handed over my money, probably being the only one who has ever shopped there hoping to discover a stain on their purchase!


On getting it home and laying it out onto a small round table in the house I discovered a slight rip in the hem - which I fixed before I put it in the washing machine.

Also...


Taa daa!  Not only a stain - but the perfectly placed stain.


As you can hopefully see in the above picture it was a small, neat, stain that I could hide in the side seam of the skirt - and also I did not have to cut through any of the birds to do it.

This was going well...

... until I did another classic cutting error which I appear to be so fond of!


I had checked two sources (one magazine, one online) and found my waist radius was 12 cm.  I therefore used my very clever marking ruler (pictured above).  I placed my marking pencil in '12' and off I went.  Only to realise after cutting it out that it didn't fit, because it was an imperial ruler and obviously the markings were going up by half inches and not centimetres!  So I had cut 12 half inches - 6 inches - just over 15 cms.  So I had to hack a wedge off the skirt each side of the seam I had made to make the waistline fit!  Although, funnily enough, I still didn't chop any of the birds in half as it all landed in the reeds pattern - which was nice.


The good news was that I could now make a zip placket from the circle I cut out - because it was huge!  Also, I used some of the fabric I cut out of the side seams to make a waistband - I had previously thought I would need to find a contrasting fabric in my stash.


Anyway, long story short I'm pleased with the result.  I love the birds that are flying around the waistline.


And all the wading birds seem happy enough. :)

15 comments:

  1. Oh my! It's perfect! That table cloth was destined to be a skirt, and the fact that you didn't have to harm any birds in the process is just fab! I need to stop putting off making a circle skirt, they are so darn flattering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love wearing full skirts. The fabric was such a lucky find - I picked it up and went straight to the till! :)

      Delete
  2. That is an amazing find, and it makes an amazing skirt! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I often look at the homewares section in charity shops hoping to find some unusual material - this was a lucky find in my favourite colours. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    OMG!!! What a beautiful skirt!!!
    Love so much!!!
    Kisses from Portugal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a completely beautiful skirt, you must be delighted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased - particularly as I managed to bring it back from a bit of a disaster! :)

      Delete
  5. I love it! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky to find it - I must have been the first sewer in the shop that day. :)

      Delete
  6. awesome! I have also tried my hand at circle skirts -,and horribly failed at getting the waist the right size- but yours is so pretty! love that bold print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It only clicked with me when I watched the Great British Sewing Bee the other day that you use pi to calculate the diametre of a circle. Wish I had paid more attention in my math's classes now! :)

      Delete
  7. I love it, it looks sooo good as a skirt - you are very clever to have seen the potential, and what a fortuitous stain :).

    ReplyDelete