Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Friday, 10 June 2016

Circle Of Geese


Foundation piecing is not my favourite way of making quilt blocks.  I have a hard time getting my head around the technique of flipping the fabric over so that it covers the intended shape in the block plus the seam allowance.  I have tackled this in the past by using huge pieces of fabric and trimming them afterwards, but for this wall hanging I cut the pieces with 3/8's of an inch seam allowance instead of my usual quarter inch and it worked - save for a few hairy times when it only juuuuust worked!

Much as I complain about this technique I can find no other way of getting accurate points every time in my piecing.


Those coloured triangles would not be that crisp for me any other way.  I am hoping the more I make blocks this way, the more comfortable I will get with it. 


I did some research into how to ensure that my wall hanging did not have a wavy edge.  It is only a 12 inch block so there is not much chance of it going wrong but you never know.  I found the best way to get it to lay flat is to pin it down, steam it with an iron (without letting the iron touch the fabric) and then letting it dry.  It did work well so I will try it on a larger scale next time.

The completed wall hanging was given to my friend as a present.  The lovely hanger, by the way, was from the CottonPatch website in the UK, and the block can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. It's so beautiful! To me, it looks perfect. Also, I don't know the first thing about quilting... I hope to learn one day 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so beautiful! To me, it looks perfect. Also, I don't know the first thing about quilting... I hope to learn one day 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) It does give good results but I find it really fiddly to do!

      Delete