Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Sunday, 27 September 2015

Woven Clutch Bag


I have been playing around on my inkle loom again.


I used the same colours as my first attempt because there was loads leftover and - more importantly - they were the only two colours I bought with the loom!

It is a slightly different design and this time I had to try to get the longest length I could to enable me to make something out of it at the end of weaving.


Every dowel is used!

I managed to get eight strips about 14 inches in length, with a little gap in between for cutting apart.  Once off the loom the strips were sewed together.


Don't look at it for too long - it'll make your eyes go funny!

You could see the joins so I thought I would like to cover them somehow, and I hit on the idea of using the thin ribbon straps I always cut off purchased clothes.  You know the ones they put on tops in stores to stop them sliding off the hangers - but when you wear them at home they always seem to make their way out of the armholes and you have to keep tucking them back in... or is that just me?!  Anyway, I always cut them out of my tops and so I had a nice selection.


I auditioned suitable thread...


...and sewed them over the joins with a straight stitch to try and disguise the joins.


I lined the clutch bag with some black flannel fabric I still had left over from making a dress and a skirt and I found a single button from my charity shop button tin.  I made a buttonhole in the lining to slot the button into - a bit fiddly but I didn't dare cut into the woven cloth!

I love weaving - how long will it be until I give in to a bigger loom....!

7 comments:

  1. Oh you must now get a bigger loom. Such a great clutch. Love the weaved pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's impressive! I second the bigger loom idea :) Also love those colors you used, they remind me of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's impressive! I second the bigger loom idea :) Also love those colors you used, they remind me of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was quite a hard job picking just two colours from the array they had in the show. Although now I have found their website! :)

      Delete
  4. It is very pretty. I love the colours and how you used the ribbon. Yes to a bigger loom x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to try and use up some of my fabric stash to make way for a loom! :)

      Delete