Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 10 September 2015

The Refashioners 2015 - Second Make


I found a shirt that I couldn't resist in a charity shop for £2.99.


It is covered in cola bottles!  I thought initially someone may have bought it on holiday abroad as I hadn't seen anything like it before and I didn't recognise the brand label (not the Coca Cola one!) on the inside.  A quick internet search though led me to think it may have come from Primark... not quite a rare find then!


The shirt was in good condition apart from a little bit of wear on the sleeves.  I would have happily worn it as it was but because of the slight wear I decided to unpick the sleeves.


In order to make the shirt sleeveless I had to tackle a very large armscye.  I ummed and ahhed about this for a while.  I didn't want to put in a great big dart - and I didn't want to unpick the side seams to place a dart under the arm to bring it closer to the body.  I hit on the idea of placing small inverted box pleats around the circumference of the armscye.  Another quick internet search on whether this was a good idea came up with nothing which is always a worry.  Oh well - feel the fear and do it anyway.


I think it did the job.  Whether it is too Becky Home Ecky I'm not sure.  I bound the edges with some red fabric I got in a bargain bundle of scraps from Ebay.


It's done a pretty good job of making the unwearable wearable anyway.


I was then left with the sleeves I had unpicked.  Only a small part of the fabric was unusable, and I so loved those little cola bottles that I wanted to make more, more, more.  The print reminded me of backstitch embroidery with it's hand-drawn feel so that is what I decided to do.

I scanned the sleeve fabric and cropped and enlarged a section to the measurements I needed to make a bag.


I then used a lightbox to help me trace the image twice onto an old sheet offcut I had left over from the Boho Chic top I made a short while ago.  I then interfaced behind the image and stared to embroider.


This took ages!  I did wonder whether I should just have the cola bottles on one side of the bag but I had already traced the images and was loving the way they looked so carried on stitching. 


I'm glad I did because I love the result.  And it means that I can see my hard work however I hold the bag!


I used a strip of the Ebay scrap red fabric to tie it in with the shirt and it fastens with a zip I bought in Cardiff market for 95 pence.

I wore it with several skirts for the photos. 


The white skirt is made out of a friend's duvet cover and the pink one is a maxi skirt given to me by another friend which I cut off from the top to make shorter, as it was originally too small for my waist.  I love the splash of colour when I twirl... not that I spend a great deal of my time twirling you understand.

The outfit kind of reminds me of an American diner, what with the coke bottles and swirly skirts.  


Would have loved to have been photographed perching on a stool by a formica counter but will have to make do with a gingham background.


See what everyone else is up to on the Refashioner's pinterest page.

2 comments:

  1. Great refashion! I cant believe you did all that embroidery, it's the slowest thing ever!
    Your whole outfit looks great, well worth the effort. If there's anything wrong with the armscyes, I can't see it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The embroidery did take longer than I thought it would - but at least I could do it with the tv on in the background. :)

      Delete