I am a bit late in the game for this year's Refashion Runway challenge. I sewed along with quite a bit of season two (I made a plaid dress out of a skirt and a fifties skirt out of an eighties dress amongst other things!) but as it's the summer holidays I haven't had as much time as I would like to participate. This week, however, is a maxi dress challenge and I happened to find the perfect item to refashion.
I got this two piece in a lush blue/green colour for the bargain price of £2 in a local charity shop.
What a bargain!
I loved the colour and the long ties at the front of the top were just begging to be made into halterneck ties.
I have quite a bit of seventies inspiration to work with as it's my favourite era of vintage pattern to collect. Unfortunately my eye for a bargain can be a bit hit and miss! When I opened up this pattern I had also purchased from a charity shop some while back I realised that all the skirt pieces were missing. There's a story there I'm sure!
Anyway, I could only use the bodice as a very rough guide as I needed to re-draft it as a longer piece so that the skirt I had would be long enough to become a maxi. This meant that I had to drop the waist of the skirt section to around hip length and could just about squeeze the length I needed for the bodice out of the original top front.
The fabric had quite a bit of stretch in it so I could omit the waist and back darts that were in the original pattern. I did have to line the bodice with some cheap fabric I had which had just a one-way stretch to stop the weight of the dress pulling downwards.
I do like the finished result. Mainly because it's a colour that I simply adore. I'm surprised everything I own isn't in this colour!
Please take a look at what the actual entrants have created here.