Saturday, 22 August 2015
I decided to sew along once again with the Refashion Runway entrants and this week the theme was Boho Chic.
My friend gave me this cotton sheet with a fabulous broderie anglaise border around three sides. I realise this isn't the most impressive way to refashion - using an already flat sheet of fabric - but this top is something I have been meaning to make and this challenge just fitted in nicely with the look I was going for.
The pattern is View A from the 'Basic Black' book by Sato Watanabe. The pattern pieces are fairly straightforward but it involved a bit of, shall we say, creative placement to get the border on the sleeves, hem and bodice front of the top.
I did make the bodice pieces a bit wider than the original top suggested as I wanted a very loose fitting top. It could be argued that I went too far in this regard but I still do love the amount of fabric it has... because it can look like this..
I know I've already used this photo but I love it!
Talking of photos I couldn't help seeing what Boho Chic will look like out in the open...
Campsite? Check. Picnic? Check. False ponytail and a hair band borrowed from my daughter? Checkedy check check.
Saturday, 15 August 2015
I am a bit late in the game for this year's Refashion Runway challenge. I sewed along with quite a bit of season two (I made a plaid dress out of a skirt and a fifties skirt out of an eighties dress amongst other things!) but as it's the summer holidays I haven't had as much time as I would like to participate. This week, however, is a maxi dress challenge and I happened to find the perfect item to refashion.
I got this two piece in a lush blue/green colour for the bargain price of £2 in a local charity shop.
What a bargain!
I loved the colour and the long ties at the front of the top were just begging to be made into halterneck ties.
I have quite a bit of seventies inspiration to work with as it's my favourite era of vintage pattern to collect. Unfortunately my eye for a bargain can be a bit hit and miss! When I opened up this pattern I had also purchased from a charity shop some while back I realised that all the skirt pieces were missing. There's a story there I'm sure!
Anyway, I could only use the bodice as a very rough guide as I needed to re-draft it as a longer piece so that the skirt I had would be long enough to become a maxi. This meant that I had to drop the waist of the skirt section to around hip length and could just about squeeze the length I needed for the bodice out of the original top front.
The fabric had quite a bit of stretch in it so I could omit the waist and back darts that were in the original pattern. I did have to line the bodice with some cheap fabric I had which had just a one-way stretch to stop the weight of the dress pulling downwards.
I do like the finished result. Mainly because it's a colour that I simply adore. I'm surprised everything I own isn't in this colour!
Please take a look at what the actual entrants have created here.
Monday, 3 August 2015
Keen to get as much sewing done as I could during my summer break, I stumbled upon an excellent way to challenge myself. The Refashioners 2015 is a sew along challenge where the aim is to refashion a button down shirt.
I purchased this shirt at a charity shop ages ago and it has been languishing in my clothes pile ever since. It's a soft woven plaid fabric and it seemed perfect to make into a pair of sleeping shorts.
This took a bit of fabric juggling. I could obviously use the front and back of the shirt for the shorts front and back, but I needed a bit more fabric for the inside leg and, sadly, the hip!
Here is one of the pieces to show you. You may be able to see on the left of the picture I have had to add a bit more fabric to the outside hip area - I took this from the original shirt sleeve. The extra fabric for the inside leg was harvested from the top of the shirt front.
As there was a button placket already it seemed like a good idea to have a button down front. This did involve a bit of fabric manipulation though; as if I had sewn the front inside leg and just stopped the button placket would not be lying flat. Luckily the extra fabric I had used at the inside leg came over the button placket. I sewed up to this extra fabric and hand turned the raw edge.
Hopefully you can see in the picture above that the button placket is lying flat below the extra fabric.
As you can imagine I didn't have much fabric left for a waistband. I hit on the idea of using a cuff as the front fastening on the waistband, so I cut off what was left of the sleeve including a seam allowance...
..and cut the back yoke of the shirt into two strips to attach to the cuff.
You can see here the end of the cuff continuing on from the strip of fabric cut from the yoke.
Here is another photo from the front. It was quite a windy old day today which made photography a bit tricky.
The back of the shorts.
They are really comfy to wear and what I loved about sewing these was that the more I concentrated on the fabric, the more colours I could see woven into the cloth.
Pop along to Pinterest to see what everyone else is up to. :)