Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Sunday, 12 April 2015

All The Small Things


I am not saying that I have entirely lost the plot - but I have spent some of the Easter holidays designing Barbie clothes?!?

It started because I had all these itsy bitsy pieces of material leftover from my last dress and I love the dragonflies so much I didn't want to throw out a single scrap.  Many a happy hour was therefore spent researching what other people had achieved with barbie designs, and it became very clear that I was not going to match up with those who design for collectors.  I therefore set my sights on velcro and rather more basic designs.


The main problem I encountered was in finishing the seams.  There was no way to do this neatly without perhaps very fiddly french seams so I lined everything.


This skirt is just a circle of fabric which I quilted with poly wadding and backed with the cotton fabric I used to line my dress.  The exposed edges were then finished off with bias binding - with the binding running on past the waistline to make a tie.  Easy to do up with no back seam necessary.


I did search online for help in drafting this bodice and combined it again with the full circle skirt.  The skirt has a pleat in the front as I didn't measure correctly and when I went to attach it to the bodice it just happened became a considered design element! :)


Pop art face!


The tie ribbon is attached with the only slightly fancy zigzag stitch I have on my machine.


And is tied at the back.  Again the overlap of the skirt means no back seam is necessary.

I really enjoyed making these but man, they are fiddly.  Weirdly addictive though....

6 comments:

  1. Cuuuteee! Love the Pop Art doll face dress :) Can you make me a full size version, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I might have to put in a back seam for a real person though! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I know. I can't take up another hobby! My house is never going to be clean!!!

      Delete
  3. Oooh love these. My neighbour gave my daughter some Simplicity patterns for Barbie type dolls` clothes. I'd never realised such tiny patterns existed! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I was tempted to get a simplicity pattern as they are half price at the moment I think but I wanted the challenge of drafting - less scary on a mini scale!

      Delete