Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Sunday, 22 March 2015

Revisiting My First Love


Before I thought it might be possible that I could make clothes that would fit me both at the hips and waist I made quilts.  I began doing this when my first child was a baby and I needed something silent to do when she napped in her cot beside me.  And so began my love of hand quilting.

I have recently been trying to perfect my machine quilting technique and, whilst I love the speed this offers, I missed the act of hand quilting.  I decided to print out a simple quilting pattern from Electric Quilt and see if I could still do stitches that show up on both sides of the work!


I think hand quilting is one of those things that is best to 'just do' without worrying too much if you are improving.  Some stitches I like - some not so much - but I think I will improve with practice.


The fact that I was quilting by hand also meant that I could use one of my favourite things.  I strengthened the variegated thread I was using with this beeswax block that I got from a honey farm whilst on holiday in West Wales.  It may seem a shame to make thread marks into such a pretty thing but it will last me a lifetime!


The finished piece will hopefully be made into something I can give to a friend who has a birthday coming up, maybe a bag or small cushion, I haven't decided yet.  I didn't really have anything in mind at the outset.  I just wanted to quilt. :)

3 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! Wow. I don't know the first thing about quilting but it looks so lovely. When my closet is full, I'm taking up this quilt -business :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it. It's very calming!

      Delete
  2. This is stunning and looks so relaxing x

    ReplyDelete