Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Monday, 16 March 2015

I blame the Great British Sewing Bee.


After I saw them refashioned Eighties' dresses on the Great British Sewing Bee, I was itching to have a go myself.  That's when I got this beauty with a 99 pence bid on Ebay.

With the styling of 'Challenge Anneka' combined with the colour of 'Bucks Fizz' this screamed Eighties.  It must also have screamed 'don't buy me!' as I was the only bidder.

I knew that it would be too small before it arrived but I just had to try it on for a giggle.  Yes, I did hear a rip just before this next photo was taken....

 ...Ahem.

I placed a bid because I loved the colour and it looked like it had a nice drape.  And it does.  It is a viscose which has the softness of butter as well as its colour.  I decided I wanted a full skirt and I was also keen to re-use the elasticated waistband.  I mean, how often can you get a colour match that good.

I unpicked the waistband from the top and bottom of the dress and cut the skirt at center front and back.  I realised I would have to use all of the fabric from the top if I was to make a nice full skirt so the front of the top became the front of the skirt and the back of the top the back of the skirt.


I'm not sure about it though.  The large pockets make it look like an obvious refashion to me, but if I took them off I would be left with distinctive stitching holes.  I know this because I picked apart a seam from a scrap of leftover fabric and there was no way of disguising the previous stitching line.


On the minus side it is a bit short but on the plus side I already have matching shoes! 


It will definitely get worn but do I like it?... I'm still 'making my mind up!!'  (Sorry - had to get another Bucks Fizz reference in!)

4 comments:

  1. I love the skirt color, and the shoes! Yellow heels are killer :)
    I am with you on the pockets, though, but I think the waist band is what confuses my eyes a bit. My brain is telling me "upside down jacket", but then again I am a bit damaged :D
    For casual wear it is perfect and very comfy, no doubt, and it is a creative refashion, which was the whole point, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes, I see what you mean about the waist band! I hadn't thought of that. This is definitely a refashion to learn from! :)

      Delete
  2. I think it would look good with some grey clothes. Loving those yellow heels but I wonder if the skirt would suit flip flops or sandals in hotter weather? I like how you had to try the original dress on! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will wear it with sandals in the summer - it does feel too short with the heels and flats might help with that. I couldn't resist trying the original dress on - I just needed a waiting helicopter and I could have been full on Anneka Rice! :)

      Delete