Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Saturday, 7 February 2015

I've got socks older than that doctor/dentist/teacher!


How old is your oldest pair of socks?  I tend to hold on to mine until the bitter end.  They inevitably get a hole in the heel and then I have to admit defeat and chuck them out.  Handknitted socks are another matter though.  Even then they don't get the chop.

I was sorting out the laundry and realised that a pair of my husband's handknitted socks had developed a hole.  Thanks to my back catalogue of posts I can see that I finished these socks at the end of 2010 and they have been going strong since then.  Not bad for socks that have been in regular use.  I bought a darning mushroom from a charity shop a few years back and it has been put to good use.


I'm afraid I can't give you a masterclass on how to darn socks as I am fairly slapdash.  I just sew sort of ladders back and forth across the hole and then weave the yarn up and down these ladders to fill in the gaps. 


I think it's supposed to look like you haven't needed to repair it at all, which is not quite how it looks when I do it - but, well, it looks better than before!





The socks live to fight another day!


3 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I neither knit nor darn - which probably makes it all the more amazing that my oldest socks are coming up to 34 years old! They do have big holes in the heels, and are no longer in weekly rotation, but I will still occasionally pop them on over another pair of socks because I have always loved the colour (and after about 20 years I think it did kind of become a point of principle not to throw them out!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 34 years old. That is fabulous! I love that you still wear them and I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates throwing socks out. :)

      Delete
  2. I can see why you're saving these socks!

    ReplyDelete