Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 1 January 2015

It's not that warm in Wales actually.



I love the time between Christmas and the start of the school term, as I get a bit of sewing time in before going back to work.  

This year for Christmas I was lucky enough to get a copy of Gretchen Hirsch's latest book 'Gertie Sews Vintage Casual' from my sister and I decided to have a go at making a toile for the shift dress in the book.  I fancy making myself a summer holiday wardrobe and the patterns in the book fitted with my ideas.


I started with a US size 8 at the bust and graded it out to a size 12 at the hips.  I was really pleased with the grading on the pattern and appreciated Gretchen's bias towards drafting on the curvy side.  It meant that I had a wearable toile without any major adjustments.


The back did show up a few problems.  I have a bit of a swayback issue and I will re-draft the centre back I think to take this into account.  This is something I have dealt with before so I wasn't too surprised this was the case.  It may be a bit too tight in the hips as well but I think the swayback will help with the fit and I can look at this again.  This is meant to be a basic pattern and I hope to make a few versions with different necklines and I suppose I should lengthen it a little!


I think that's all the sewing I can fit in before going back to work.  It was time to take down the Christmas decorations today.  It was lovely looking at all the decorations myself and the children have made over the years.  Can't wait for next Christmas to put them all up again! 

Happy New Year.


4 comments:

  1. Cute dress! I like the fabric. This in between time is great. I haven't sewn though....I hope to sneak in sewing soon. Happy New year to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you. My sister also bought me some navy blue fabric with white moustaches all over it which may well become the second version of this dress. Think I may have to think about a colour theme for the summer as I seem to be going a bit crazy!!

      Delete
  2. What fabulous fabric, and what a great pattern to showcase it! Your dress is seriously cute.

    ReplyDelete