Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Wednesday, 29 October 2014

I've got skirts, they're multiplying


I thought I would join in with the Sewcialists' October sewalong theme - Grease is the Word!  I didn't want to make a costume though - mainly because I am in the midst of persuading my friend to dress up with me for a 'Sing-a-long-a Sound Of Music' show next year - and my head is full of dirndls and lederhosen!

I decided instead to try and give an old pattern a modern twist.  I really wanted to make the bolero jacket from the sixties reprint BurdaStyle 7113.  (View B in the picture below.)


The dress, however, not so much.   Maybe another time when I have copious amounts of time to try and fit this style of dress to my pear shaped body.  I didn't fancy a pencil skirt either - although this would have made sense given the Grease theme.  In the end I made another copy of the BurdaStyle skirt I used for my recent cars skirt.  I had a tiny bit of black flannel left over from my sixties check dress that I wanted to use and there was only enough for a mini.  So decision made.

I tried out Hong Kong seam finishes for the first time.  Found out they are quite addictive.  Also found out I had a sewing foot I could use to more accurately stitch in the ditch.  Who knew!


The reason I wanted to make another of these skirts is my love of the contrasting pocket panel.  This time I used some leftover spotty fabric.  I've still got loads of this fabric left so I may well make another bolero in it so I can mix and match.


The bonus is that now I have something I can wear to an upcoming girls night.  Naturally I did consider skin tight shiny lycra a la Sandy but thought I put my friends through enough as it is! :)

Thursday, 23 October 2014

My 62 (and a half) pence scarf


Knitting can be an expensive hobby.  So many beautiful yarns - so little time.  Sometimes though you just want something that will keep you occupied while at the dentists, or waiting in line at parents' evening. (Just some examples of the rock and roll lifestyle I have been living the last couple of weeks!)

I was after cheap and cheerful and I found this acrylic yarn...


... for the princely sum of £1.25 for two balls at a charity shop.  I coupled this with a free cowl pattern I found whilst searching ravelry, and I even knitted it with a pair of needles that came with a knitting magazine.  I know, hey big spender!


My yarn choice/tension combo meant that my piece of knitting seemed narrower than that suggested in the original pattern, so I decided to change it from a cowl to a scarf.


It was really quick to knit up and I only used one ball of the pair so I am counting this as an investment of 62 and a half pence on this scarf.  Regarding the other ball - I can't get the thought of pink and grey Fair Isle gloves out of my head now!


Tuesday, 7 October 2014

She likes to ride her bicycle... and her scooter... and her skateboard... and her rollerskates... and her waveboard...


My sister gave me the offcuts of fabric she had leftover from making herself a dress.  (A love of dressmaking and quirky prints runs in the family!).  There was just enough fabric to make my daughter a pair of shorts.  I used Simplicity 1370 and cut out the smallest size.  

Despite only having a small amount of fabric to play with I did spend an inordinate amount of time trying to pattern match at the centre front and centre back seams.  I thought I had taken into account the seam allowances and was fairly confident I had matched the central bike up ok.


I am reasonably happy with the orange bike at the centre back.  Not perfect by any means but it looks like I have at least tried.  Which is why I have no excuse regarding the yellow bike on the front seam.


Pretty hard to ride a bike when the handlebars are missing!  I have no idea how this went so wrong!


I have consoled myself with the fact that the print is absolutely gorgeous and my daughter won't be bothered about my pattern matching.


After my faffing about fussy cutting the limited fabric, there was only one place left I could fit the yoke front for cutting out, but luckily the bicycles on it were fairly symmetrical to the front.  That was just pure luck.

Finally, I had to laugh at the side seams - I knew I was not going to pattern match as I was so concerned about the centre seams - but I did try and line up the bikes - resulting in a slightly hilarious 'tandem for an argumentative couple' perhaps!