Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

She likes to ride her bicycle... and her scooter... and her skateboard... and her rollerskates... and her waveboard...


My sister gave me the offcuts of fabric she had leftover from making herself a dress.  (A love of dressmaking and quirky prints runs in the family!).  There was just enough fabric to make my daughter a pair of shorts.  I used Simplicity 1370 and cut out the smallest size.  

Despite only having a small amount of fabric to play with I did spend an inordinate amount of time trying to pattern match at the centre front and centre back seams.  I thought I had taken into account the seam allowances and was fairly confident I had matched the central bike up ok.


I am reasonably happy with the orange bike at the centre back.  Not perfect by any means but it looks like I have at least tried.  Which is why I have no excuse regarding the yellow bike on the front seam.


Pretty hard to ride a bike when the handlebars are missing!  I have no idea how this went so wrong!


I have consoled myself with the fact that the print is absolutely gorgeous and my daughter won't be bothered about my pattern matching.


After my faffing about fussy cutting the limited fabric, there was only one place left I could fit the yoke front for cutting out, but luckily the bicycles on it were fairly symmetrical to the front.  That was just pure luck.

Finally, I had to laugh at the side seams - I knew I was not going to pattern match as I was so concerned about the centre seams - but I did try and line up the bikes - resulting in a slightly hilarious 'tandem for an argumentative couple' perhaps!


9 comments:

  1. You've nailed this print and shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I may need a bit more practice though so I can match a whole bike! :)

      Delete
  2. You did a much better job than I did on my dress! Love the push me pull you bike - I'm off to check to see if I made one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let me know if you find one! :)

      Delete
  3. They're adorable. And when glanced at (which is what will happen in real life), that front central bike looks just fine. Would you like to borrow my children clothes making mantra - "They'll never stand still long enough for anyone to notice"? I do like the idea of a Push Me Pull You Tandem for Argumentative Couples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your mantra - I hope you don't mind if I also adopt it!

      Delete
  4. Excellent pattern matching. This fabric is so fun!

    ReplyDelete