I thought I would join in with the Sewcialists' October sewalong theme - Grease is the Word! I didn't want to make a costume though - mainly because I am in the midst of persuading my friend to dress up with me for a 'Sing-a-long-a Sound Of Music' show next year - and my head is full of dirndls and lederhosen!
I decided instead to try and give an old pattern a modern twist. I really wanted to make the bolero jacket from the sixties reprint BurdaStyle 7113. (View B in the picture below.)
The dress, however, not so much. Maybe another time when I have copious amounts of time to try and fit this style of dress to my pear shaped body. I didn't fancy a pencil skirt either - although this would have made sense given the Grease theme. In the end I made another copy of the BurdaStyle skirt I used for my recent cars skirt. I had a tiny bit of black flannel left over from my sixties check dress that I wanted to use and there was only enough for a mini. So decision made.
I tried out Hong Kong seam finishes for the first time. Found out they are quite addictive. Also found out I had a sewing foot I could use to more accurately stitch in the ditch. Who knew!
The reason I wanted to make another of these skirts is my love of the contrasting pocket panel. This time I used some leftover spotty fabric. I've still got loads of this fabric left so I may well make another bolero in it so I can mix and match.
The bonus is that now I have something I can wear to an upcoming girls night. Naturally I did consider skin tight shiny lycra a la Sandy but thought I put my friends through enough as it is! :)