Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Please someone I know throw a sixties themed party!


Now, this isn't the greatest thing I have ever made - in fact it isn't even the greatest thing I have made this fortnight!  I really liked the toile of this dress - and then I became a victim of my own 'tweaking'!


The background story to this dress is that in one of the Ebay fabric bundles I like to purchase when I am at a loose end, there was this very cheap looking check fabric.  I knew that there was over a metre of it in the bundle but what I didn't know was that it was a piece only about this wide.  The joy though is in the challenge of finding something to do with this fabric and then this dress popped into my head and I couldn't get it out!

So, throwing good money after bad I purchase a few metres of black flannel and a 20inch black zip and set about creating a dress that I really didn't think I would ever wear.  Just to get it out of my head.

I used New Look 6145 and sewed the check fabric to strips of the black flannel before cutting out the front bodice.  I thought that my toile was a little on the tight side on the hips so I re-drafted the pattern to be a size 14 bust and a hip size that went off their chart!  Sewed it all up bar the hem and armhole finishes and lo and behold I had made a sack!


I didn't really want to unpick for hours a dress I thought I would only wear once in a blue moon so I winged it.  Really quite badly.  I took in the back darts (ok that is acceptable)  I sewed a convex line along the bust dart without taking apart the side seam (yeah, a little weird) and then I tackled the obvious swayback by putting handsewn darts in the neckline without taking the neckline facing apart (that is just plain crazy). 

I am left with an 'interesting' back detail, but I am also left with a dress I can wear without someone thinking that there should be several trapeze artists and a clown performing under it.  Actually, there is a clown performing under it!



10 comments:

  1. Ha ha what a great post! The color blocking is so cool looking, clever use of a small piece of check :)
    Very groovy, you should've been on a date with Austin Powers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing my 'sixties swing' moves when I realised I could see a neighbour at his front door! Nothing like providing entertainment is there! :)

      Delete
  2. You should wear this all the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may find myself doing the twist on the school run though if I did that! :)

      Delete
  3. You are so clever making these outfits from scrap fabric, you've some great ideas! I really like that New Look pattern, I may have to give it a try:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend it for an easy to put together pattern. The only thing I had a few problems with was getting the facing to lie flat but I'm sure that is due to lack of technique!

      Delete
  4. Your dress always look fun to wear.

    ReplyDelete