Now, this isn't the greatest thing I have ever made - in fact it isn't even the greatest thing I have made this fortnight! I really liked the toile of this dress - and then I became a victim of my own 'tweaking'!
The background story to this dress is that in one of the Ebay fabric bundles I like to purchase when I am at a loose end, there was this very cheap looking check fabric. I knew that there was over a metre of it in the bundle but what I didn't know was that it was a piece only about this wide. The joy though is in the challenge of finding something to do with this fabric and then this dress popped into my head and I couldn't get it out!
So, throwing good money after bad I purchase a few metres of black flannel and a 20inch black zip and set about creating a dress that I really didn't think I would ever wear. Just to get it out of my head.
I used New Look 6145 and sewed the check fabric to strips of the black flannel before cutting out the front bodice. I thought that my toile was a little on the tight side on the hips so I re-drafted the pattern to be a size 14 bust and a hip size that went off their chart! Sewed it all up bar the hem and armhole finishes and lo and behold I had made a sack!
I didn't really want to unpick for hours a dress I thought I would only wear once in a blue moon so I winged it. Really quite badly. I took in the back darts (ok that is acceptable) I sewed a convex line along the bust dart without taking apart the side seam (yeah, a little weird) and then I tackled the obvious swayback by putting handsewn darts in the neckline without taking the neckline facing apart (that is just plain crazy).
I am left with an 'interesting' back detail, but I am also left with a dress I can wear without someone thinking that there should be several trapeze artists and a clown performing under it. Actually, there is a clown performing under it!