Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Sunday, 20 July 2014

Colette Peony Squirrel Print Dress


After spending a large chunk of the Christmas holidays fitting a toile for the Colette Peony dress, there was no way I was only going to use the pattern once.  This is my second version since the refitting - finished just in time for a night out with the girls.


This fabric was on sale last year at John Lewis for £5 a metre.  I can remember telling the sales assistant that I was going to make a child's quilt using it!  In my 'woman in her fourties wearing pink squirrels and acorns' defence - my friend was wearing a top the other day that I thought had acorns on it and it looked lovely and then I couldn't get this fabric out of my head.  So I used it.  For me.


I spent a stupid amount of time hand picking the zipper in.  You can see that I didn't really attempt to match the tiny print - save for keeping it on the straight grain of course - but the squirrels seem to have kept their tails!  The dress is fully lined (apart from the sleeves) with white cotton.


I loved wearing this on my night out. 

14 comments:

  1. Wow, it's fab. I love the fabric and your fit looks very good. Definitely a much better use than a child's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I have saved the offcuts so it will play a small part in a quilt at some time! :)

      Delete
  2. This is so cute love the fabric.. And I too. like to use my patterns more than once..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is about the first time I have used a pattern more than once but I must say I am hooked! I am about to make version two of another dress.

      Delete
  3. So glad you made this version. It's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to look quite closely to see it's squirrels - I didn't even notice them when you put it on FB! Besides - I've got a dress with bicycles on, and I'm even older than you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to go out together wearing our ensembles!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you made another one. The fit is hard earned and well worth a run in this perfect fabric. Agree with Ceri that you have to look really close to see the cute squirrels. It looks like a groovy 60s prints. Us over 40s should definitely be wearing such prints!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I am going to sneak into the cute quilting cottons section of the fabric shop more often!

      Delete
  6. Wow! So fabulous, I love that fabric :) It woild have been a shame turning it into a quilt..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love wearing it on my night out - and nobody seemed to be staring so I think I got away with it! :)

      Delete
  7. This print looks lovely. Your zipper looks perfect and the dress fits you beautifully. You should be very proud :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - luckily every time I make this dress I get to tweak the fit a little bit for the better each time - I think I will have to fill my wardrobe with this one dress!

      Delete