Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Friday, 6 June 2014

I think I've used up all the blue floral fabric now


How many photos can one person take of a quilt?  ...We'll find out.....!

This is the quilt that I was making during Me Made May, which I have finished in time for my friend's birthday.  I had a lot of fun making this one.  The inspiration came from a wish to use up the remainder of the blue floral fabric that I had already used to make a top and a skirt.  


I had enough left to make the points on twenty stars - so that dictated the size of this lap quilt.


I decided to just use sashing for the borders.  I did think I had enough scraps leftover from the quilt top to make an additional flying geese border, but as I started to cut the triangles out for that it became apparent that I didn't actually have enough to do the light/dark contrast I wanted, so I left it as it was.


The quilting turned out ok.  I am always aiming to become more accurate and get the speed even to help the tension along - but I realise that this will, and has, improved with practice.  


I took an inordinate amount of photos!  My friend was very pleased with her present - which is lucky because I get so emotional giving a quilt.  There's just something about it....

(Linking up with Lizzie Lenard Free Motion Mavericks)

12 comments:

  1. Gosh HoffiCoffi, brilliant quilt! Lively colours, lovely of texture - no wonder you took loads of pictures. Your friend must be thrilled with it!
    And thank you so much for linking up with the Free Motion Mavericks first linky!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your link up post just as I had logged on to blog about this quilt so it was fate! Thank you for hosting it.

      Delete
  2. there are two things I don´t dare to make: a flamenco dress and a quilt. The colours and shapes on yours are so beautiful and the top stitching amazing. Did you do this in just a month? You always impress me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooh, please make a flamenco dress!!!!! :)

      Delete
  3. It's just gorgeous!!! Very impressive ;) I'd love to be able to do that...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it! Honestly if I can anyone can! :)

      Delete
  4. You are so clever Hoffi. I would love to be able to make a quilt like this. Another lucky friend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I still have an enormous pile of fabrics so I'm sure it's on to the next one!

      Delete
  5. Gosh, this is just so beautiful. What a lovely present and wow your quilting is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think it would have been neater if you had quilted it! :)

      Delete
  6. No wonder your friend was pleased. Your quilt is beautiful. Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really enjoyed picking out the colours I wanted to use.

      Delete