Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 12 June 2014

Duvet Skirt.


During the month of Me Made May my friend gave me a pile of old duvet covers.  


I really hope she is not regretting it now as I am wearing one of them!!

I had a fancy for a full skirt, two tiered, with an extra tulle/organza layer on the bottom.  Luckily I found I had just the right organza offcut from making my full petticoat a while back, and it still had its selvedge.  No hem needed on fiddly organza?  Result!


I started out with the plan of following roughly a BurdaStyle pattern I had.  However, on cutting out the upper tier using their largest size it became clear that it would not go anyway near me, so I soon scrapped that idea and went it alone.  This sadly meant finding out that my hips were roughly the same size as a whole pillowcase!  I am sure that information will come in handy on many occasions. 


This is just showing some of the detail of the gathers.  The top tier is the said pillowcase and the bottom tier is just the bottom of the duvet cover (including the original buttonholes which are now on the underside of the hem!)


I am hoping it is twirly enough to give an Audrey Hepburn vibe, so I am linking up with Rhinestones and Telephones Hepburn Hepburn project



9 comments:

  1. Oh so cute!!! I love the whole look, and the organza layer is perfect. It looks so airy and summery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I am going out for a meal with the girls soon so will hopefully wear it then.

      Delete
  2. Love the stripes in different directions! Love the fact that you can now measure you body parts in terms of bedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping for bedding is now going to get very interesting!

      Delete
  3. How super productive you are! You look very glamorous posing on the bench! It's amazing what we can do with a some old fabric and great imagination :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did take loads of photos on the bench - luckily no neighbours were about! Good job I did the twirling ones next as I got very, very dizzy!!!

      Delete
  4. This is so cute on you! I love garments made from home goods and you wear it very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love using old fabrics and got so excited when my friend gave me this set!

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant use of a duvet cover, no one would ever guess. Love the way the stripes change direction too.

    ReplyDelete