Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Monday, 19 May 2014

I could never colour inside the lines anyway.


My quilt top is pieced together and is all ready for quilting.  The other evening I dragged my sewing table to the front room in order to use the quilting extension, only to have a quilting nightmare!  I had wanted a quick easy quilting design and was just going to quilt diagonal lines - until I realised my normal sewing foot was dragging the quilt this way and that and completely distorting it.  The rest of the evening was spent unpicking what I had done.  I watched the Masterchef finals with a very grumpy face!  Turns out my lack of a machine walking foot is a bit of a problem when it comes to quilting.

I was pondering how I was supposed to quilt this to a deadline.  I have a machine quilting foot but straight lines would be very wobbly with that and I didn't want to just stipple quilt it.  Then the blatantly obvious occurred to me - the fabric I had chosen for the quilt backing had a perfect quilting pattern already on it!  Above is a practice piece where I have meandered along until I came to a flower and hey ho, quilted around it.  Not very accurately I grant you, but at my current level of ability I am going for 'naive charm!!!!'


This one is better!  Note the uneven stitch length.... 'naive charm???!!!'

I do love how quilting brings out undulations when you use a wadding with some cotton in it.  A quick wash of the sample and a bit of an experimentation with the thread tension and I think it could work. 

8 comments:

  1. Oh, i like your "naive" quilting. Are you going to hand quilt it all now? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hand quilting and am still hoping to make a wholecloth quilt but I am going to struggle on with the machine with this one!

      Delete
  2. I love this, it will be lovely I'm sure ;)
    I think "naive" is the way to go, I'll remember that for my first attempt at quilting :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping I will improve with practice - I have just started on the real quilt and it is not going that well! Hopefully I will improve fast! :)

      Delete
  3. This is so lovely. I've never made a quilt, but it is on my 'to do' list. I can't wait to see the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making quilts - although I have never tackled any really big projects!

      Delete