Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Friday, 4 April 2014

The Best Things Come In Medium Packages


Or at least I hope so!  This brown paper parcel contains a present I made for my friend.  


The good thing about sewing a present for a friend is that you can go online and order up what feels like a present for yourself first!  One of the most fun things about sewing is choosing the fabric and trim you are going to use and this fabric turned out to be a beauty to sew.


I gave my friend a choice of tops I could make for her and she chose New Look pattern 6705 view E.  The instructions were great and it went together quite easily - although I took a long time to press and tack in the yoke facings as they needed to be caught with the top stitching.  Can be tricky that!


The armholes are just finished with a bias trim and it was a lovely way to add another splash of colour to the top.


It's a really easy top to make as there are no darts for the shaping.


Just these cute pleats in the front bodice.  I really enjoyed making this and I think my friend liked the end result!

10 comments:

  1. It's so pretty, and looks beautifully made - lucky friend! I hope you point out your very neat edge stitching to your friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not believe how slowly I sewed that edge stitching! :)

      Delete
  2. This is just so nice. What a great friend you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a lot of fun to sew though so I think I got a good deal!

      Delete
  3. I love tops like that, but own none! This is beautiful, and fabric is lovely ;)
    I agree, getting fabric in the mail is like X-mas, even if it is for unselfish sewing. I want to make my mother an apron, but have never gotten around to it. I think I will do that soon. Good excuse to fabric shop ;)
    I would be very happy for a gift like this! Handmade is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shopping for cotton fabric you could use on an apron as you can get away with some crazy prints. Happy shopping! :)

      Delete
  4. This is so cute... Know your friend enjoyed receiving it..
    Such beautiful fabric..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric was on sale as well so I was especially pleased with it!

      Delete
  5. This is very pretty Hoffi, I love the pleat detail and contrast binding. You have such lucky friends, you need to make something for yourself next!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on my 1940's dress so will have something for myself soon. Just as soon as I summon up the courage to sew an invisible zip!! :)

      Delete