Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Wednesday, 12 March 2014

You can teach a girl couture... but you can't take her away from Ebay!

Ebay.  Such a guilty pleasure.  I can't resist a blurry photograph of a bin bag full of polyester fabric.  There, I've said it.

There are many lovely fabric shops on Ebay, selling all kinds of quality fabric but they are not my main haunt.  What I like are those mystery bags of scraps that cost more to post than they are probably worth and usually I am the only bidder!

When they arrive though, they are like Christmas to me.  I usually have no firm idea of what is in the package.  I like to buy fabric with some meterage in them but this does not always turn out the way I expected it.  But I just love that I have rescued some - usually quite weird and abstract - fabric.

I do use them, usually to make dress up for the club I work for or for my own kids.  Unusual fabric in fairly small quantities is perfect for the task.


My daughter loves roller skating at our local leisure centre and here I have made her a skater skirt.  It has a silver top layer with a black underlayer - both trimmed with red self-made bias binding.  All the fabric came from Ebay.


My latest 99 pence purchase turned out to be a little life saver.  After avoiding World Book Day for a few years our school decided to have a dress up day again to celebrate it.


I used pretty much every last scrap of this red and black stripe fabric to make a Dennis The Menace top for dress up that day.  The sleeves are three quarter length as there simply was no more fabric available for longer sleeves.


It is buttoned down the back as there was no stretch on this fabric.  Right, I've got to go, I'm sure someone somewhere is photographing a bin bag with my name on it!

8 comments:

  1. Now that is the perfect roller skating skirt and great Denis the Menace outfit. I'll be calling on you for book week here in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember reading that you've made book day costumes as well. If you get inspiration this year let me know as I am running out of ideas! :)

      Delete
  2. Your mystery bin turned out some really cute outfits.. What fun... I love ebay too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist placing a cheeky bid!

      Delete
  3. Ebay is my guilty pleasure too (and Etsy)
    Recently, I almost bought a lot of 15 000 buttons, luckily my brain started functioning again right before I hit 'Buy it now' ;D Crafting can make you crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband bought me a big box of buttons in a charity shop a few years ago. I love them but they would have been very expensive to post. I agree - that 'buy it now' button is too tempting!

      Delete
  4. You are so brave! I very seldom dare to order something from an on-line fabric shop, let alone bid for anything on e-bay! Seeing what you´ve achieved maybe I should try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to challenge yourself to make something different as you are never quite sure what is going to turn up in the post! :)

      Delete