Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Pattern Fitting - The Completed Colette Peony


This is quite a picture heavy post - partly because I am a little bit in love with this dress and partly because I got a tripod for my birthday!


So, after battling with it since Christmas, I have finally finished my Colette Peony dress.  All that pattern fitting, all that tweaking, and I'm afraid I still haven't got it quite right.  The bodice and neckline, as you can see, are a little bit big, but the couture techniques and full lining make it a delight to wear - so I will learn from it and love wearing it!

A few details....


The hem lining has a small fold which gives extra room when you sit down.  It should stop the lining from pulling the dress hem up when it is under tension.


The fully lined sleeves also have the same effect.


 I re-drafted the neckline a little to give it a slightly more scooped effect.


My previous Peony has the original neckline which I found was just a little too high for my taste.  This feels much more comfortable.


My dear, non-sewing friends listened patiently when I explained enthusiastically how the fact that my self drafted sleeve dart matched up with the shoulder seam was, in fact, very important. 


I think I lost their attention by the time I was pointing out that my waist darts and the new skirt darts I had also drafted met up.  So I'm showing you!


The good thing about the bodice being roomy (along with my more comfortable redrafted sleeves) is that there is no restrictions in my movement in the dress.  Photo above: Exhibit A.

Finally, to prove that I actually do wear the things I make and bore my friend silly talking about them, here is a picture of me at a recent girl's spa weekend....


Looking contemplative?  Yes, I am probably thinking about my dress!

12 comments:

  1. I love it.. The blue is really pretty on you.. Such a great pattern..Now, that you have done all the fitting issues..The next ones , won't be so hard.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do have some fabric that I am tempted to use to make another one straight away!

      Delete
  2. Looks lovely - the new neckline is great!

    All you need to do now is make me a matching one and find us a birthday party to go to! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - all I need is three metres of a linen of your choice and we are good to go. You can pay me in party food!!! :)

      Delete
  3. This is lovely Hoffi, the shade of blue is gorgeous. You must be so pleased to have such a fab wearable dress and a successful pattern that you can now use again. Oh and the photos are great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do hope to make more of these - hopefully it is such a classic shape that no one will notice I have the same dress three times!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I love everything about it! The color is one of my very favorites, and the fit is fabulous, and the sewing looks impeccable. You really nailed this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I loved making it.

      Delete
  5. Yay! This looks so great. Well done after all that fitting and what a beautiful colour on you. You can rave on as much as you like... I'm listening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about blogging - other bloggers don't mind you going on about dressmaking! :)

      Delete
  6. It is beautiful and the colour is gorgeous on you; it must make all the work worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I did enjoy (most of) making it! :)

      Delete