Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 13 February 2014

Pattern Fitting Part 4 - The Colette Peony


Having adjusted the top of the Colette Peony to my liking, I had to tackle my ever problematic 'huge hip to small waist ratio' on the skirt.  I started by measuring the waist of the bodice and finding out the pattern size this related to and copying the skirt piece out in that size.

Somewhere along the line though I must have made a mistake.  The hips fitted ok - which is not usual - and when I tried to do the small gathers at the skirt waist they needed to be so gathered the skirt looked ridiculous! 


Side view - oooh HoffiCoffi what have you done there?!  That's not right.

This needed some serious adjustment if this skirt and bodice were ever to marry up - whilst still being large enough for my hip measurement.



I realised that there was actually some ease in the hip area (unheard of!), so I took some fabric out of the centre front.  This made the waist a bit smaller but there was still no way gathers were going to cut it unless I virtually gathered the whole front section - so I inserted two fairly substantial darts in the front.  It seems to have worked.


That's better!  Now young children will hopefully not point at me in the street!

I am now working on the actual dress.  I am trying out couture techniques and to say it is taking quite a while is an understatement.  Overlocker - I miss you!

4 comments:

  1. Well done Hoffi. I still have a long way to go with figuring out fittings, so your efforts look top notch. Keep at it and I can't wait to see the final result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am sure I will finish the dress sometime soon!!

      Delete
  2. This is really coming along! Those gathers could have been a design feature, but I think you've nailed it now. Can't wait to see this in other fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I will be finished this week - think I may need to set myself a deadline!

      Delete