Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Monday, 17 February 2014

Colour Wheel Quilt... But With Squares!


My apologies if you are searching the World Wide Web looking for the traditional colour wheel quilt (which has a circular design) and have stumbled onto this post.  Mine is definitely square.

Whilst I was drafting my Colette Peony muslin I really didn't want to waste any of the leftover calico that inevitably builds up as a result of pattern cutting.  I started cutting the larger scraps into four and a half inch squares, and then I remembered I had a few plain charm packs in my stash and a colour wheel quilt was the obvious way to go.  All the fabric and the wadding used is 100 percent cotton which, upon washing, gives a slight shrinkage which I think gives a new quilt a soft, slightly crumpled, antique feel.


I had a great time auditioning each colour square for the quilt and arranging them into an order I was happy with.  My daughter's friend had a birthday coming up and so I had a recipient in mind.


It was very easy to put together.  I have not, in the past, been as accurate with my piecing as I would have liked but feel I have found a great improvement with three things 1. accurate cutting 2. a quarter inch sewing machine foot and 3. double fork pins to hold everything in place before sewing.


I was running a bit short of time so the quilting had to be simple so I just quilted around the colour blocks.  The photo above shows the quilt all folded up ready to be wrapped for the birthday girl.


A lovely bonus of a birthday quilt is that you can write a special message on the back.  My daughter wrote this message to her friend in fabric pen and I stitched it in place.  In case anyone is wondering 'penblwydd hapus' is 'happy birthday' in Welsh!

8 comments:

  1. What a lucky friend! The quilt is just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing, generous gift - and I like your square style of 'colour wheel' much more. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I could only find circular designs when I was researching the quilt but I'm sure there are quite a few square ones about! It's just fun to play around with the colours.

      Delete
  3. Your daughter's friend is a lucky girl, it's lovely, gwneud yn dda! A great way to use up left over fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww.. It is so lovely!
    I have been hanging on to all my scraps (bagsfull!), in the event of ever attempting a quilt. Don't know if it will ever happen, but every time I see a quilt I want one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! They are really simple to make - just time consuming!

      Delete