Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Monday, 20 January 2014

Pattern Fitting Part 3 - The Colette Peony

My upper arms are large in relation to my other upper measurements.  Think UK size 14 bust but UK size 20 upper arm.  I have always had fitting issues because of this but previously I had no idea how to tackle it apart from making a larger armhole and sleeve.


You can see in the picture above how much pulling there is when I make a standard sleeve to fit the upper bodice.
 

It feels as tight as it looks.  


I found my answer thanks to Lynda Maynard's 'Sew The Perfect Fit' class over at Craftsy.


The first thing I did was fairly obvious when I came to think about it.  I gave myself more material within the sleeve rather than make a bigger overall sleeve.

I then followed Lynda's advice to the letter to make the oddest alteration I have ever made.  I'm afraid I can't really explain what I did as if I tried to explain it I would confuse myself!  I can only recommend hearing it from Lynda herself.  Put it this way, in the photo below the purple highlighted areas are the original sleeve pattern!


See what I mean!  (There is not a standard seam allowance marked in there - the pencil outline is the sewing line and I trimmed it to size a bit after this photo was taken.)

Anyway, it worked!  Whatever it was that I did.  (Note to self - try and figure out what you did!!)



The above photos don't really do justice to how comfortable my new sleeve is.  Hopefully the photo montage below will illustrate it best.


So much more movement - the sleeve is higher up and therefore not pinning my arm down and there is more fabric within the sleeve so it is much more comfortable.  Just don't ask me how it works!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I am just pleased I've found a solution to a problem that has been bugging me for ages!

      Delete
  2. Great job.. I love the craftsy classes. They really help.. Can't wait to see your finished dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what you did but it certainly worked! Those craftsy classes sound so good. xx

    ReplyDelete