Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Monday, 23 December 2013

Top 5 of 2013 - Misses

Top 5 of 2013 - An Annual Blog Series

My second post for Gillian's Top Five of 2013 link up is all about what did not quite go to plan this year.  Here are my top 5. 

1. 'Leather' Skirt


Urgh, this is the worst thing I have made.  Ever.  In my defence, I was working with a polyurethane coat I found in the charity shop, to make a leather look skirt for a refashion runway sewalong.  But that's no excuse really - it's just ugly and badly made. 

2. Peplum Shirt


Another refashion runway challenge.  I was happy with my finished work, changing a boxy shirt into a fitted peplum, but I still don't like peplums.

3. Fifties Petticoat


I feel a little bit bad about putting this petticoat on the list because I love it.  But that middle panel was not supposed to be there - I panicked and put it in when I realised the skirt was going to be a bit short.  Now it's too long.  Nothing that rolling up the waistband doesn't fix but it was a silly error on my part.

4. Cord Hat 


I decided to make a hat out of truly scrappy scraps of fabric - a headscarf for the lining that was badly damaged and the very, very last scrap of green cord I have had for ages.  The hat was fiddly to make but turned out ok, but was too big!


The only photo I have of said hat is on a friend's head during Me Made May.  Last seen in my wicker basket full of hats and scarfs, never seen on my head.

5. Brown Shorts Remake


Again, nothing actually wrong with these.  They are a simple refashion of an old pair of Mr HoffiCoffi's jeans into something rather cute for summer.  My only error in these was trying to get the things on.  Think I got as far as my knees.  Enough said.


So, there you have my top five misses of 2013.  I realize there is a touch of Goldilocks and the Three Bears about it all as I seem to be complaining things are too big, too small or too long.  Hopefully next year I'll get it juuuuust right!

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you on peplums! The shirt looks fine, but peplums & me don't mix! Cute hat, you'll just have to find a bigger headed friend to give it to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may well take a tape measure with me the next time we all meet up for coffee!

      Delete
  2. I still like all of these, although I know what you mean about things not quite fitting.

    Could the petticoat be shortened by taking in the seam between the top two panels? Perhaps that would make too much fullness. Still, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it might work as it is only a thin polyester fabric so would not cause too much bulk - it just depends if I get around to doing it! :)

      Delete
  3. I think you are fantastic for even attempting a remake, scares me too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They can be fiddly to do but seeing something changing into a wearable garment is quite addictive!

      Delete