Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Saturday, 28 December 2013

Top 5 of 2013 - Inspirations and Goals

Top 5 of 2013 - An Annual Blog Series

This is my final post in Gillian's Top 5 of 2013 linkup.  Time to list my inspirations this year and my goals for 2014.

Inspirations

1.  Online Friends

Who could write an inspirational list without mentioning the joy of being able to see people as crazy as you are making beautiful things all over the world!  I read too many blogs to be able to list you all but, rest assured, if you blog about sewing, I have come to visit!

2. Offline Friends

I believe everyone is creative, and I am lucky enough to know quite a few people who demonstrate this in their daily lives.  From my sister, who knits meticulously, to my friend Sarah, who has just started an art class, to these people who I am lucky enough to have photographic evidence!


My friend Siwgr who makes fabulous felt!  I wore this example of her work to afternoon tea this year.


Mr HoffiCoffi, a creator of board games.


My children, who leave little doodles like the one above around the place. 

3. Dare I say Craftsy!

I have started using Craftsy this year and did a bit of research before purchasing a class.  It seems a bit of a marmite subject but I have to say I have really enjoyed the experience.  I loved the teaching styles of Susan Khalje in her couture class and Beth Ferrier in her applique class.

My Cushion Following Beth's Class.

4. Wonderwool Wales


I went to Wonderwool Wales for the first time this year and loved it!  So much inspiration in several huuuuge barns!  Here is a photo of all the... ahem.... 'inspiration' that found it's way home with me!!!





Goals

1. Rip More Calico!!!

Honestly, I did it for the first time yesterday and it is such a great way to find the fabric grain - and it makes you feel like the Incredible Hulk.  Win win!

Actually this does lead me on to the next goal.

2. Pattern Fit More Effectively

I am going to be a big girl this year and really get to grips with pattern fitting.  Yes, I am talking about making a muslin and really examining the fit issues.  Full Bust Adjustment here I come!

3. Trying Couture Techniques

Susan Khalje's very gentle powers of persuasion have convinced me to give couture a go.

4. Find a HoffiCoffi Proof Iron




I am HoffiCoffi - destroyer of Irons.  Honestly I just want one with a soleplate that doesn't become all gunked up and is impossible to clean.

5. Understand the 'Pattern Magic' Books

I got Pattern Magic volumes 1 and 2 for Christmas on my request.  Don't have the slightest idea what they are on about... this may be a goal too far!  

2 comments:

  1. Oooh good goals. They practically mirror the things I need to focus on next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading about your progress!

      Delete