Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Monday, 23 September 2013

Refashion Runway Season Two - Plaid Sewalong


I am kicking off my refashion runway sewalong with a long skirt I bought ages ago in a charity shop for 50 pence.

It is such a pretty skirt but it sadly does not fit me.  Ahem.... let me introduce you to... the glamorous portion of this post...

Not even close!
Thumbs are up but I'm crying inside!!!!


The obvious refashion for a too small ankle length skirt is a mini dress.  When I placed the skirt on Merle it was very tempting just to cut armholes in it as shown above but I didn't, because (a) I had already drafted an alternative bodice and (b) I didn't think I could carry off a funnel neckline.


I placed the bodice pieces on the top of the skirt like so, cut around the pieces, excluding the waist, and sewed armhole darts.


Once I had cut out the bodice I was left with quite a bit of excess fabric at the waist.  I used a self-drafted a-line skirt block to taper the waist out to the full width of the original hem.


Finally, I did the same with the original lining of the skirt.  I made facings and bias binding out of fabric leftover from a skirt I had previously made in a cheery polka dot.  You can get glimpses of the binding when worn but really it is just there for me!



It is such a cheery fabric I couldn't help but take a close up shot.  I will probably normally wear this with a long sleeve top underneath as it is perfect for the cold weather to come here in Wales.


This is a photo where I very much give the impression that I can match up plaids at the seam lines.  Please note there are no photos for the other side... feel free to draw your own conclusions as to why!


Right, I'm off to play catch-up with an emerald dress! 

12 comments:

  1. Great refashion! That fabric is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I actually found a matching jacket in another charity shops a few months later and didn't buy it - I am kicking myself now!

      Delete
  2. Yes a lovely refashion that I would never have attempted!I love plaids in bright cheery colours and I also love putting odd patterned bindings in too and like them for the same reason as you.For 50p you had got nothing to lose but have a great mini dress/tunic now...and don't worry about plaids not matching up just look in any High Street store and see what is on offer there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was pleased this turned out ok as I did love the fabric and I am always a little bit reluctant to cut up items that seem to be undamaged and a good quality just in case it doesn't work. I will wear this a lot though in the coming colder months so am glad I forged ahead!

      Delete
  3. Great re-fashion! I love plaids but have not sewn with them lately. Fear of plaids, maybe?? Your project may just inspire me to pull out some plaid fabric. Thank you for that!!
    I found your link through the Renegade Seamstress blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have a bit of a fear of plaids as well as I am not very good at matching them up at the seams, but as Urban Rustic in her comment above has pointed out - High Street stores don't usually match them either so I feel a bit better about it!

      Delete
  4. Oh My Gosh!!! You are soooo clever!!! Why aren't you in the Refashion Runway competition?!? This dress is amazing!!! I hope to see you in the next competition. I love your work. Its inspiring and I may even be bouyed by your work enough to try one one day! LOL The fabric is gorgeous btw. It is strange to think of your going in to winter and wearing a long sleeve shirt under your dress as we try to squeeze the most (coolness) out of spring before the onslaught of summer....it was 35 degrees celcius yesterday! Phew!!! Can't wait to see what else you get up to. Cheers, Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you've made my day! It is lovely and sunny here in Wales today but there is a chill in the air so it is definitely long sleeve weather. Time for me to finish my knitting I think!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous fabric - and what a cool dress you've made with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dress, what a great refashion :)

    ReplyDelete