I am kicking off my refashion runway sewalong with a long skirt I bought ages ago in a charity shop for 50 pence.
It is such a pretty skirt but it sadly does not fit me. Ahem.... let me introduce you to... the glamorous portion of this post...
|Not even close!|
|Thumbs are up but I'm crying inside!!!!|
The obvious refashion for a too small ankle length skirt is a mini dress. When I placed the skirt on Merle it was very tempting just to cut armholes in it as shown above but I didn't, because (a) I had already drafted an alternative bodice and (b) I didn't think I could carry off a funnel neckline.
I placed the bodice pieces on the top of the skirt like so, cut around the pieces, excluding the waist, and sewed armhole darts.
Once I had cut out the bodice I was left with quite a bit of excess fabric at the waist. I used a self-drafted a-line skirt block to taper the waist out to the full width of the original hem.
Finally, I did the same with the original lining of the skirt. I made facings and bias binding out of fabric leftover from a skirt I had previously made in a cheery polka dot. You can get glimpses of the binding when worn but really it is just there for me!
It is such a cheery fabric I couldn't help but take a close up shot. I will probably normally wear this with a long sleeve top underneath as it is perfect for the cold weather to come here in Wales.
This is a photo where I very much give the impression that I can match up plaids at the seam lines. Please note there are no photos for the other side... feel free to draw your own conclusions as to why!
Right, I'm off to play catch-up with an emerald dress!