Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 20 September 2012

Why don't I like this more?


Do you ever have a sewing project idea just pop into your head as you are about to drift off to sleep, which then keeps you awake thinking about it?  Or is it just me?

I have wanted to do a 'valleys' fabric picture for a while now but could not think what I could use if for.  I did think of making cards but thought that they may take too long to make for something so disposable but then it hit me.  I thought of a way I could make it into a brooch.

One bad nights sleep later I gave it a go.  By the time I had finally got to sleep I had somehow convinced myself that I would be creating a work of art which I would instantly fall in love with!  I can't put this down to eating cheese before bed or anything but the reality was rather different.  The 6 centimetre square brooch just had me going 'meh'.  It's no good, I just don't like raw edge applique and no amount of sleep depraved planning can change that.

8 comments:

  1. Can't answer your question!
    The brooch will be great on a sweater.

    If you want to finish the edges but not use more blanket stitch, would Fraystoppa be any good? Don't know how easy it would be to apply here, you've have to use a tiny brush I suppose, just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not used Fraystoppa before so that might be worth a try. Maybe if I just sealed around the edges of the brooch I would like it more. Or maybe more blanket stitch would be the way to go. Decisions decisions!

      Delete
  2. I think you are being harsh. It is cute! We need you to model it so we can see it on a jumper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I may persevere with it and make a Mark 2 version and model that. It is quite hard to judge the scale of it with a close up.

      Delete
  3. I like the raw edges - looks like long grass blowing in the wind! It would make a really cute pocket on a denim type skirt - though I think 6cm might be a bit small for that? That one looks like spring, so you could always make the other seasons and make it into a picture or cusion or something? (although I guess if it were really spring it would be raining, but then so would summer, wineter and autumn!) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit the long grassy bits are starting to grow on me (that sounded weird!!) but I think what I don't like is the edge of the brooch looking messy. Also, I think the house might be in the wrong place... I may be overthinking this a bit!

      Delete
  4. I like it but I think it needs more depth--another row of hills, or a valley or the sea in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right - it looks flatter than I thought it would. I did try and do some shading with chalks but it didn't work! I love the thought of being able to see the valley below - think I will work on that. Thank you.

      Delete