Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 27 September 2012

Utility Sewing

What does utility sewing mean to you?  It's a term I use for all the unexciting sewing tasks in my life.  It includes obvious things like repairs but it also includes things like making shopping bags.

I have pondered previously if I would enjoy making things so much if it were more of a necessity.  Things I define as utility sewing I do because it makes economic sense to use what skills I have to repair clothing or make useful everyday objects, I don't do it because I particularly enjoy it.  Or is it a no-no to say any sewing is boring!  I guess I can't just make pretty dresses when my son has holes in his socks!  Tempting though..... :-)

5 comments:

  1. I admit it. . I hate utility sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness! After I had typed it I wondered if I was the only one. Thought I might be lynched for saying any sewing is boring! :)

      Delete
  2. I quite like fixing and mending things when its sewing.somehow I find it satisfying..yet I hate having to rectify mistakes and alter new projects hence a huge UFO pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the dreaded UFO - I prefer to call them WIP's (work in progress) - I'm never sure when a WIP ends and a UFO begins!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh I hate utility sewing AND I hate fixing / correcting WIPs. But I love sewing generally.

    I don't think necessity would make them any more enjoyable, it would just make them HAVE TO get done - or else! But maybe over time all that practice would make them quicker projects and therefore not as painful?

    ReplyDelete