I have finished my seventies mash up dress and despite the light being terrible for photographs here today I just had to share it with you.
The bodice section of this dress is an old seventies pattern (Butterick 6571 to be precise) as shown below.
I bought it at a charity shop for the princely sum of one pound but when I got it home I found that the majority of the pattern was missing. The resulting dress is therefore an amalgamation of several patterns as blogged here.
When I put this dress on after making the bodice I just laughed.
Those sleeves are redonkulous!
But I really, really love them!
For me, this is why I sew - to make things that I simply couldn't find on the high street. It's not that I want to stand out it's just that I always seem to find it impossible to blend in. Believe me, I spent many a youth club disco in my early teens desperately trying to dress like my friends but never quite getting it right...!
I have put in a lapped zip. It's my first one so it's far from perfect but the book I used for advice assured me the hand pick stitches would 'scream couture!'. I remain unconvinced!
Another gratuitous sleeve shot. Honestly I could look at those sleeves all day!
Finally this is my tailor's dummy Merle modelling the inside of the dress. I was lucky enough to have some vintage binding given to me which I used to bind the neck and sleeve edges (the original dress had a small bow at the neckline but, given the gingham nature of the dress, even I thought that might be a 'Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz' step too far!). I was even luckier to have some cheap and cheerful polycotton fabric in exactly the same colour as the binding to face the sleeve and waist bands.
In short I love this dress. The skirt panels are not as full as the original pattern. This was