Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Friday, 17 August 2012

Seventies Mash Up Dress


I have finished my seventies mash up dress and despite the light being terrible for photographs here today I just had to share it with you.


The bodice section of this dress is an old seventies pattern (Butterick 6571 to be precise) as shown below.


I bought it at a charity shop for the princely sum of one pound but when I got it home I found that the majority of the pattern was missing.  The resulting dress is therefore an amalgamation of several patterns as blogged here.

When I put this dress on after making the bodice I just laughed. 


Those sleeves are redonkulous!


But I really, really love them!

For me, this is why I sew - to make things that I simply couldn't find on the high street.  It's not that I want to stand out it's just that I always seem to find it impossible to blend in.  Believe me, I spent many a youth club disco in my early teens desperately trying to dress like my friends but never quite getting it right...!


I have put in a lapped zip.  It's my first one so it's far from perfect but the book I used for advice assured me the hand pick stitches would 'scream couture!'.  I remain unconvinced!


Another gratuitous sleeve shot.  Honestly I could look at those sleeves all day!
 

Finally this is my tailor's dummy Merle modelling the inside of the dress.  I was lucky enough to have some vintage binding given to me which I used to bind the neck and sleeve edges (the original dress had a small bow at the neckline but, given the gingham nature of the dress, even I thought that might be a 'Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz' step too far!).  I was even luckier to have some cheap and cheerful polycotton fabric in exactly the same colour as the binding to face the sleeve and waist bands.

In short I love this dress.  The skirt panels are not as full as the original pattern.  This was an accident a considered design choice that I am really glad happened as it fits me perfectly and I would usually go for a fuller skirt.  My only real slip up was due to my insistence in keeping the central seam in the front of the skirt, the gingham pattern placement is slightly off putting as there is a double row of red stripes down the centre which is a tad annoying but I can live with that!

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. I love those sleeves. Great dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to you for persuing this pattern despite all the missed bits.This is in no way mashed up...it is gorgeous.love the sleeves love everything.wear with pride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm really pleased I've tackled this dress as I've learnt a lot. I look forward to wearing it to an 'Abigail's Party' type soiree!

      Delete
  3. What a great job.. Love the dress , and the fabric.. so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was lots of fun to sew as Gingham is such a happy fabric!

      Delete
  4. Forgot to say that you should add this to the Sew Groovy Flickr Group
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/1645458@N20/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh cool. Thank you. I have put it on Flickr but I will join this group later. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. Ah the joy of children taking ages to get ready to go out - I've just managed to put the photos on now!

      Delete
  5. I love the dress and the fabric. Have you ever linked up with We Sew Retro? It is one of my favorite retro clothing sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh no I haven't. I'll have a look now. I love that there are so many ways to meet other people who sew. I can't remember what I did before the internet!

      Delete
  6. I love that you are true to your aesthetic. cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and thank you for hosting a great sew and tell. I love reading about what others are creating!

      Delete
  7. Gingham AND flowers. This is dress heaven! You look so cute in this. I can tell that it makes you happy just to wear it. I love how you described why you sew. I feel exactly the same way and have had the same experiences in life not quite 'getting it right', but I couldn't have summed it up as well as you just did. Thanks for being there and for sharing your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments. I bet there is a story behind everyone who sews and I love reading about other's experiences. I've just popped over to your blog and I'm loving the colour combination of the macaron dress! Very beautiful.

      Delete
  8. I have that fabric in lime green - I'd better not make the same dress or we'll be back to our childhood! Dress looks fab, we'll have to have a posh afternoon tea out somewhere so we can dress up! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should bring back the 'matching dresses but in different colours' look. That would be hilarious! x

      Delete
  9. Great dress! Are you going to make another now you're sorted the pattern pieces? Perfect in a winter fabric too I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those sleeves! Just glorious.

    I don't think most people (including me) would recognise a couture technique... so the handpicked zip may well be screaming but the screams may be falling on deaf ears :-).

    ReplyDelete