Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Friday, 24 August 2012

I can overlock!


Meet my New Best Friend!

There is a bit of history with this overlocker.  It has been in the family for about 20 years and I remember my Mum had it free when she bought a sewing machine at a local craft show.  My sister, who had just finished her Fashion and Textiles Degree, took possession of it and she lent it to me a while ago when I started dressmaking.

It hadn't been used for a while and didn't have a fused plug on it and it stayed in the corner of my sewing space with a metaphorical label on it saying 'scary metal thing'.  A trip over the border to Cheltenham spurred me on to conquer my fear of the overlocker.  I saw one in a charity shop for sale for £60 and I thought 'this is silly, I've got one of those sat in the corner at home'.  So, when we got back Mr HoffiCoffi got me a new fused plug (for the princely sum of 75 pence!) and he put the plug on for me.  I cleaned, oiled and re-threaded inside (bit of shouting, bit of unnecessary jabbing with a very long pair of tweezers) and I got it working!  Look!


I was jumping up and down happy.  I am a proper grown up who sews now!

This hat was done in the blink of an eye!


I'm so pleased I have overcome my overlocker fear and I'm surely not the only one who feels like this about the scary 'lots of threads and levers and blades' monster!  My advice - feel the fear and sew it anyway! :)

3 comments:

  1. Agree! Once I got over the fear of my overlocker eating my material I have completely embraced my overlocker. Yours looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I keep cutting patterns out now just so I can use my new toy!

      Delete
  2. I love my overlocker despite the initial terror.

    ReplyDelete