Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 16 August 2012

Bell Stitch Scarf


Alas, poor Yankee Candle, I knew him well.  Sorry, I appear to be channelling my 'inner shakespeare' with this photo.

It's an odd way to celebrate really because I've finally finished my bell stitch scarf.  I have been knitting this for ages.  I must have started it just before the New Year as we went to a Welsh language residential centre to see in 2012 and I remember sitting on the floor there knitting this.

Mr HoffiCoffi came home one day with 11 balls of this yarn which he purchased for £2.99 at our local charity shop.  (I have taught him well!)  It is a 4 ply yarn hence the inordinate amount of time I have spent knitting it.  I have wrapped it around twice in this photo so it is quite long but as it's so light I prefer to layer it up.


I love the stitch pattern, which I just copied from a stitch directory in a magazine. It's a simple 12 row repeat pattern with a few yarn overs.  Nothing too taxing which is what drew me to it in the first place but unfortunately my laziness was also my undoing because, as the months went on, I became really really bored...!


Still I love the finished result and I have even become fond of the very seventies brown.  It makes me want to make a pair of dark brown flared trousers and a thick green blouse.  Ooh I've just bought a pattern for a wide brimmed hat.  Groovy.  Check me out this Autumn! :)

5 comments:

  1. Lovely knitting and perfect timing ready for Autumn. I love the finished results with 4ply. Well done you for sticking with it and Mr HC too for spotting the bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am hoping to get a lot of wear out of it. Mr HoffiCoffi should go out shopping on his own more often I feel!

      Delete
  2. That's such a pretty pattern, well done for not giving up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I did most of it watching my kids having swimming lessons in the end - I was a captive audience so I thought I might as well knit!

      Delete
  3. Hello! I really like this scarf - and, as a novice knitter who is committed to knitting a scarf for her best mate in time for Christmas (we're doing a swap), I don't suppose you could email me with some simple instructions, could you? Pretty please? :)

    ReplyDelete