Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Thursday, 19 July 2012

My First Trousers - I Mean That I've Made Myself!


I've finished my first pair of trousers!


They are really comfortable to wear but I couldn't get really good photos of them which makes me think that comfortable doesn't always mean they fit!


They are designed to sit below the natural waistline (no, honestly the pattern said so!) and there is no waistband and I believe the waist measurement is right.


There was an awful lot of changes to the size of the darts to the extent that I did wonder if I needed to put two sets of darts in the front.  Luckily I didn't go down that rather odd route and instead gradually took in some of the ease at the sides from hips to waist.


Overall I like them even if they have those wrinkles at the front.  I will try another style of trouser next time to see if I can alter them correctly for the perfect fit.

9 comments:

  1. They look really good! Well done! What pattern did you use? I remember A Fashionable Stitch did a trouser sew along some time ago if that will help re the whiskers if you're really worried about them, it's probably that you've sat down before taking the photos though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks - I'm just looking up A Fashionable Stitch now. The pattern I used was a beginner trouser pattern from BurdaStyle magazine. The instructions were pretty good so I was pleased with it as a first attempt but I might splash out on a commercial pattern next time!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. They look great. Perhaps this will motivate me to get brave and dive into some of my trouser patterns and growing stash of trouser-appropriate fabric. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My advice is to go for it! I've just popped over to your blog and I love the dresses that you've made - trousers would be no problem!

      Delete
  3. Well done!
    I think that you will soon find one pattern that you really like and then you will just use that one in an infinite number of permutations.I use the same pattern although I must admit they do tend to fit differently according to the type of fabric used.These look very nice though so be proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My mum often says that she keeps searching for the perfect bag - I think I may well be like that with trouser patterns, but it will be fun trying them all out!

      Delete
  4. They look fab - the fit looked pretty good to me! Might have to borrow the pattern, fancy having a go at making some shorts too if I can find the time, all the ones in the shops are too short! I don't like short shorts! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acabo de descubrir tu blog, por Merche, de aventuras de costuras y me está encantando.
    El pantalon te queda muy bien.
    Besitos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your trousers look very nice. Love the yellow top and shoes..So pretty. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete