Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Sunday, 24 June 2012

Guess the Weight of the Cake?


The summer school term is hectic for fundraising events.  With a coffee morning, sports day and the summer fair all within a fortnight I've had to put my personal sewing away and concentrate on baking and charity making!

The above cake was the 'guess the weight of the cake' cake for the summer fair.  I am quite used to making cupcakes for fundraisers but this is the first time I have tackled a 'proper' cake.  I ummed and ahhed about how to decorate this homemade maderia and in the end I pretty much treated it like an over sized cupcake and did my usual rose design.  It was well received though and made more money than it cost to make so I was very happy with that.

My daughter and her friends also ran a craft stall at the fair and so I had a lovely afternoon with them over our house beforehand making hairbands and cards for them to sell.  I'm afraid I didn't take any pictures - I was a little bit busy!!!  They had a great time and their stall went really well.


I also managed to make a butterfly hair bobble and I've photographed it on top of a tub full of cupcakes that were sold at the coffee morning.

Hopefully I can get back to finishing my trousers which are almost done.  I have managed to bind a quilt and will photograph that this week - I am just waiting for the weather to improve!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful cakes! The hair band looks really cute. Well done on raising lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are a very small school so I try and think of ideas that will raise the most money - any suggestions gratefully received!

      Delete
  2. Impressive cake decorating! How do you make those flowers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really easy to do. I use buttercream icing and a Wilton 1M icing nozzle, starting at the centre I just swirl round and round until it's big enough. Honestly they are simple - if I can do them anyone can!

      Delete
  3. What an absolutely gorgeous cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My friend actually won it at the fair and I have been promised a slice!

      Delete