Thursday, 28 June 2012
Bright Log Cabin Quilt
I fnally got around to photographing my finished log cabin quilt.
This is not for any neutral lovers out there! My only requirement for the colour scheme was that the fabric scraps had to be bright. I also wanted the outer strips of each block to be mostly on the yellow spectrum as I fancied the challenge of using a notoriously 'difficult' colour so extensively. I have used yellow in quilts before but usually just a little bit here and there so as not to be too overpowering, but I have to say I've never really experienced any problems with yellow. Then again maybe I just have bad taste!
The central blocks were all the same fabric to try to unify the quilt. They were offcuts from a skirt I bought in a charity shop to make my daughter a cushion. I hate cutting up perfectly good clothes but my daughter fell in love with the fabric so I am determined to put every last scrap of it to good use.
The binding is the same fabric as I used for the backing.
This stripey fabric was initially a pair of curtains I also got from the charity shop. Whoever initally had these hanging up in their room was very brave indeed. I wonder what colour they painted their walls...