Friday, 20 May 2011
We are going to a family wedding in the summer and so I have decided to make a dress for my daughter.
This version is made with cheap polyester cotton and so is intended to be a bit of a practice one before I cut into the more expensive 100 per cent cotton I also bought.
I have fully lined it as it is quite a flimsy fabric but I shouldn't have to line the skirt of the next cotton one.
I love the detail of the little pleats but it had me flummoxed as I would like to make the neckline just a little higher on my next attempt but could not figure out how to amend the pattern with its zig-zag markings. This is where it comes in handy to have a sister who has a fashion and textiles degree and she explained I needed to fold the pattern at the pleats to make a nice smooth neckline that I could then alter. Very clever.
The only other problem I have is that the cotton fabric I fell in love with was at the end of its roll and there was only just enough to fit the pattern so there is no margin for error. Good job I've made a practice one!