Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Tuesday, 24 May 2011


Quilt shows are the ultimate in inspiration.

I went to quite a large show last weekend and just spent two hours whizzing around it with a goofy grin on my face. I would love to show you examples of the wonderful work I saw displayed there but feel I have to respect the copyright of the quilters and instead I hope you don't mind if I show you the fabric (oh ok, ok, some of the fabric) I bought. I know it's not the same but just imagine it all cut up and sewn together again!

I do most of my fabric purchasing online but the show was a very rare opportunity to actually see the fabrics in the flesh as it were and it enabled me to purchase from quite a few different shops without incurred postal charges (at least, that's how I justified my extravagance!).

This year I had a definite colour scheme in my mind. The problem was I couldn't describe it. If I had e-mailed storekeepers with what was in my head I think I could have been taken off quite a few mailing lists... 'Dear Sirs, I'm kind of looking for muddy pastel shades? Sort of greyish tertiary colours? Do you have anything like that in stock?' But at the show - peer into a basket of fat quarters, say 'Aha!', ignore the stares, and pay for your purchase and on to the next one. I got exactly what I was thinking of. Although looking at the photo that light blue doesn't go... ah well, I guess no shopping technique is immune from the impulse purchase!

No comments:

Post a Comment