Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Tuesday, 1 February 2011


Scrap quilts are my favourite type of quilt. Maybe jointly with wholecloth quilts. Strippy quilts are good too and you can't beat a bit of applique. Ummm.. ok... scrap quilts are one of my favourite type of quilts.

I particularly love old scrap quilts where the quilter has not quite enough fabric to complete all the blocks. I love the substitutions more than the uniform blocks. Sometimes the quilter is lucky and has something remarkably similar in colour and tone and you can only notice the switch when you go up close and sometimes they just have to put in anything that is vaguely the right colour.

I thought it would be interesting to see if I could replicate this style by limiting myself only to small scraps of fabric. If I didn't have enough of one fabric to even cut out four triangles I wouldn't abandon it in favour of a larger piece but 'make do' with a substitution.

The picture above shows my handiwork so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment