Dance like no one is watching.
Blog like no one is reading.

Wednesday, 1 December 2010


Everything gets abandoned. Received a letter from school 'please could you bring your child's angel costume in by Monday". Swear slightly, panic loudly, start sewing.

Now I don't want to give the impression that I would never buy an off-the-peg costume, because I have done, many times. I also ice shop-bought cakes for the school fair, I admit it. But I knew I had the pattern for an angel costume and I knew that I had the most lovely broderie anglaise purchased for a summer dress I was hoping to make myself. I could make a costume without purchasing a thing so felt rather duty bound to give it a go.

In fact it has turned out very nicely even if a do say so myself. I lined the broderie anglaise with a white polyester cotton and I will eventually donate it to the school where it will outlast a nylon fancy-dress costume about ten times over.


I had to amend the commercial pattern slightly as apparently they thought I was dressing a giraffe so a few inches had to be chopped off on the hem and sleeves. The wings were supposed to be made out of card but I tried interfacing some leftover taffeta and, with two layers of wadding and shoulder straps made of loops of elastic, they seem to have worked.


Now all I have to do is sit back and enjoy a traditional nativity sung to the theme tune of Mama Mia!

No comments:

Post a Comment