I am not saying that I have entirely lost the plot - but I have spent some of the Easter holidays designing Barbie clothes?!?
It started because I had all these itsy bitsy pieces of material leftover from my last dress and I love the dragonflies so much I didn't want to throw out a single scrap. Many a happy hour was therefore spent researching what other people had achieved with barbie designs, and it became very clear that I was not going to match up with those who design for collectors. I therefore set my sights on velcro and rather more basic designs.
The main problem I encountered was in finishing the seams. There was no way to do this neatly without perhaps very fiddly french seams so I lined everything.
This skirt is just a circle of fabric which I quilted with poly wadding and backed with the cotton fabric I used to line my dress. The exposed edges were then finished off with bias binding - with the binding running on past the waistline to make a tie. Easy to do up with no back seam necessary.
I did search online for help in drafting this bodice and combined it again with the full circle skirt. The skirt has a pleat in the front as I didn't measure correctly and when I went to attach it to the bodice it
Pop art face!
The tie ribbon is attached with the only slightly fancy zigzag stitch I have on my machine.
And is tied at the back. Again the overlap of the skirt means no back seam is necessary.
I really enjoyed making these but man, they are fiddly. Weirdly addictive though....